Monday, April 18, 2011

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Wither (Chemical Garden, #1)

WITHER by Lauren DeStefano
Pages: 356 (hardcover)
Series: Chemical Gardens (#1)
Release Date: March 22nd, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster

What if you knew exactly when you would die?

Thanks to modern science, every human being has become a ticking genetic time bomb—males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out.

When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape—to find her twin brother and go home.

But Rhine has more to contend with than losing her freedom. Linden's eccentric father is bent on finding an antidote to the genetic virus that is getting closer to taking his son, even if it means collecting corpses in order to test his experiments. With the help of Gabriel, a servant Rhine is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to break free, in the limted time she has left.
 

First Thoughts: I was really anxious to read this! I couldn't wait to finish the one I was reading and start this one! It pulled me in instantly.

Cover: Beautiful cover! I loved the dress and the girl is really pretty! It gave me a great picture of Rhine. I don't really understand the birds, but when my friend saw I was reading it she grabbed it from me and made a summary of what she thought was going to happen based on what was circled. She said the the girl was going to get married (girl and ring) and she only had so much time (hourglass) and then she liked birds. Well she was wrong about the birds, since I don't even remember what the birds were about.

Setting: I like the setting of this book, mostly because it's in the future, but I love the description they give the buildings, parties and the garden. It really draws a picture for me, so I love it!

Character: Rhine is a very believable character, but sometimes it seems like she is in love with Linden at times: or she's a very good actor. I really like her relationship with Gabriel but I wish there was more between them. I cried when Jenna died, and I wanted to kill Vaughn throughout the whole thing.

Plot: I really loved the concept of this story, with the polygamous marriages, the futuristic times and short-lived lives. The deaths and losses of each of the characters makes the storyline very strong, but some of it is a little over dramatic.

Recommend: Lovers of Matched and any dysotopian fans.

I RATE THIS ♥♥♥♥♥ out of ♥♥♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment! I'll try my best to get back to you!